What is "Collect for Output" in QuarkXpress and how do I do that?
Before you proceed with the Collect for Output process, check that all necessary items are accessible to the layout. Display the Fonts tab of the Usage dialog box ( Utilities menu) to confirm that all fonts are available. Then check the Pictures tab of the Usage dialog box to confirm that all imported pictures are linked to the layout and display a status of OK.
- Choose File > Save to save the project. Then choose File > Collect for Output.
- Use the controls in the top half of the dialog box to specify a location for the collected files. You can also create a folder.
- Enter the name of the Collect for Output report in the Report Name field (Mac OS) or the File name field (Windows).
- To create the report without collecting any items, check Report Only.
- Check the files you want to collect in the Collect area:
- The Document option copies the active layout to the specified target folder.
- The Linked Pictures option copies imported picture files that must remain linked to the layout for high-resolution output. These pictures will be placed in the “Pictures” subfolder within the target collection folder.
- The Embedded Pictures option copies pictures that are embedded in the layout upon import, such as PICT files (Mac OS) or BMP and WMF files (Windows). Including copies of embedded pictures in the collection will not affect output resolution of the pictures, but you may find it useful to keep copies of these pictures with the collected layout items. These pictures will be placed in the “Pictures” subfolder within the target folder.
- The Color Profiles option copies any International Color Consortium (ICC) profiles associated with the layout or imported pictures. These profiles will be placed in the “Color Profiles” subfolder within the target folder.
- Mac OS only: The Screen Fonts option copies any screen fonts required for displaying the layout. These font files will be placed in the “Fonts” subfolder within the target folder.
- Mac OS only: The Printer Fonts option copies any printer fonts required for printing the layout. These font files will be placed in the “Fonts” subfolder within the target folder.
- On Mac OS, TrueType fonts function as both screen fonts and printer fonts. If your layout uses only TrueType fonts, QuarkXPress will collect them either when you check Screen Fonts or when you check Printer Fonts. If your layout uses a combination of TrueType and Type 1 fonts, or uses only Type 1 fonts, check both Screen Fonts and Printer Fonts to be sure the Type 1 fonts are collected completely.
- Windows only: The Fonts option copies any fonts required for printing the layout. These fonts will be placed in the “Fonts” subfolder within the target folder.
6. Click Save.
If the Missing/Modified Pictures dialog box displays, and you want to include your picture files, update modified pictures and locate missing pictures. When you're finished, click Save.